Search This Blog

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Products I Regret Buying

Since I’m not close to finishing anything at the moment, I thought I’d do a ‘products I regret buying’ post. I love watching these vids on youtube, because I think its so easy to just fall into the trap of buying stuff because someone else raves about them. Sometimes its hard to forget that products efficacy is not universal. What works for me or looks amazing on me is not going to work for you. And a lot of the time, its really expensive stuff and just a complete waste of my money. Usually the product just sits there in my drawer mocking me until I give up and either use it just to use it or throw it out.

1.       Maybelline 24hr Colour Tattoo in 30 Pomegranate Punk. Okay, this might be controversial, because apparently this product is God’s gift to the drugstore or whatever. Also, maybe its just this shade because everyone seems to love Bad to the Bronze and Tough as Taupe. BUT. Damn. This sucks! It creases like no other when worn alone, and this is supposed to be a base or a wear alone kind of product. So it definitely fails in that regard. If I put primer potion underneath it’ll last like 6 hours. Still no where near the 24 hour claim. The colour is really pretty, but its just annoying that I have to work so hard to make it last when that’s what it’s supposed to do. Again, it may just be this shade..but I’m not running out to buy the others to see if they’re any better.


2.       Prestige My Blackest Lashes (see my full review here!). I already talked about this, so I won’t repeat myself. This just has tons of hype, and it really doesn’t live up to it. Not that big of a regret because it’s a $10 mascara and I did use it up but stilllll.


3.       L'Oreal Magic Lumi Concealer in 864 Medium. Not a good concealer. Doesn’t have good coverage, doesn’t really ‘highlight’ or ‘illuminate’ well, nor does it have a good consistency. I really, really dislike this product, and I’m annoyed that its just sitting in my drawer. Am I using this wrong? I want to like it, but it just doesn’t do anything!!!


4.       Bourjois Illuminating Touch in 96 Rose universel. This is an okay highlighter, but you have to work pretty hard just to make it show up and noticeable. It’s not very pigmented. And you know how some highlighters are more glittery/shimmery, and others make you look like you’re kind of ‘glowing from within?’ This is definitely on the super shimmery side. This was the first highlighter I ever bought. Honestly, its not even that horrible but I just have much much better highlighters so this kind of gets relegated to the back.


5.       Revlon Lip Butter in 80 Strawberry Shortcake. This is also really well loved by the youtube/blogger world, but I just thought it was a so-so product. Once again, it could have been the shade but I just didn’t like the formula. I didn’t find it very moisturizing, and it just kind of sat on my lips. It also didn’t do my lips any favours if they were looking dry and gross (as they are want to do- ah, the joys of dry skin). This colour is a little too cool for me, so it didn’t look right. I’ve tried to wear this a lot but it just is not a fave of mine.


6.       Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer in Sand. Yup. I hate this. Yes, its creamy..that’s about it. It has so-so coverage, but the really issue is the way it sits on the skin. It just settles into every line (talking about under eyes here), so it looks incredibly weird and unflattering. I can’t really use it on blemishes either because it sits weird and doesn’t cover them at all. I think it actually makes them more noticeable. It doesn’t have long lasting power either, even when I use the powder that came with it. I know people like the colour correctors, but I will not waste my money (and it is expensive for a concealer!) on it again. I actually really liked this when I first bought it, but then I quickly realized that its just not up to par. I like my Maybelline Age Rewind Eraser much more for the under eye area.


7.       Diorskin Forever Extreme Wear Flawless Makeup in #21. I bought this a couple years ago (maybe even longer). I had some major issues with breakouts and I *thought* I needed a full coverage foundation to cover it all up (so, so stupid). So I went to the Shoppers Drug Mart and asked the lady at the counter to help me. This is what we came up with. To be fair to her, I told her that I wanted a full coverage foundation, and I was fully complacent in the colour selection. But I was clearly dumb- we’ve established that. I think the formula of this is actually nice, but its just way too heavy and full coverage. I prefer light to medium coverage. Also, the colour is way too yellow. I have yellow undertones, but this just makes me look sickly. Not a good look, if you were wondering. And this was expensive, I think it was around $50! I never use it anymore, which is a real waste. I wasn’t bamboozled into buying this, just my own ignorance..I clearly had no idea what I really needed or liked.


8. Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Micro Finish Cream  Blush in 13 Smooth Talker. This blush is actually really nice quality, consistency and blends amazingly. The only problem is the colour- which is actually a pretty huge problem. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to get a pale, blue-based pink blush. I have yellow undertones in my skin. Ya- bad call. This makes me look like death. I bought this way before I realized that I needed warmer colours for my complexion (probably around the same time I bought that Dior foundation)..live and learn, I guess! Also- this cost like $30. So much money for something I've literally used 3 times. 

That’s really all I can think of right now! I really do try and research every product I want to buy so I don’t end up hating it, but these things happen! I am but human, after all.


Best, 
Deema xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers